Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Race is over....and everyone is still alive!

Seriously...this year I'm surprised there were no major injuries, or worse, deaths. Masts and rudders....replaceable. Expensive, but replaceable none-the-less.

I come back to this race because of the people. I've met some stand-up (top shelf) people here. Cat sailors are a breed apart for sure. I saw a t-shirt last night at Surfside that said something like 'Cat Sailors aren't Pussies'...or something to that effect. And after this year's GT I think you've all proven that. But, it's not what people do for me that makes them stand-up, and out, it's what I witness them doing for others. There's too many to name names....it's just the whole collective of cat sailors.

I grew up on the water...learned to sail at my dad's knee. Went on to the navy, spent years working on foriegn factory freezers and such....so I'm no slouch when it comes to the sea....even have awards for rescuing people...but that's another story. I raced monohulls for years...inshore and offshore....always had a cabin to take shelter in...longest race was half a day or so. I just couldn't do what you guys do. I'd LOVE to do what you guys do.....but I know that halfway through a 100 mile leg, you just can't get off if something happens..injuries, heat exhaustion, whatever. So, my hat's off to cat sailors.

My job is hard enough following this race. On top of the long drives, my day kind of starts when the last boat is ashore. Sorting through 100's of photos, trying to find internet connections, digging the sand out of delicate equipment, etc.

But, I also get to see an outside view of the road crews closer than most. I share the long drives with them, and I watch them setting up on the beach...sometimes just in the nick of time, or sometimes with hours to spare. I watch them worry when they hear reports, that their boat is in trouble; or worse, that they don't hear from their boat at all. I watch them pack everything up again once their boat dips below the horizon. This year even had a few extra surprises, and everyone pulled together to make sure everything went off smoothly. When you say 'road crew/team manager' the first name that comes to mine is Terry, and my advice to any rookie is 'follow Terry's lead'. This ain't your father's Vista Cruiser on vacation.

Anyways, to the sailors and crews, and the support crews....thanks for all the great photo ops. This year provided some of the best action shots. I don't want to see anyone damage their boat, or experience some other disaster or hardship, but if it happens, I want to be the one to take the picture.

No comments: